Completing a critical media analysis aided to my understanding of gender, sexuality and history in media. I did my research project on the video game, Horizon: Zero Dawn. After considering the history of the depiction of female characters in video games, I was able to see how the game’s main character, Aloy, seemed to push back against these norms. As well, I was able to use knowledge from other classes to connect Aloy’s character to historical indigenous figures, contributing to my understanding of the connection between culture and gender roles.

This project opened my eyes to a number of new things. I was able to improve my research skills. I gained a new understanding of the history of female representation in video games and how the ways that gender is typically performed in media reflect the gender assumptions of the greater society. Horizon: Zero Dawn showed me the power of media that pushes back against these prescriptions.

Click the “Research Project” category (bottom, left) for writings on my critical media analysis and project proposal. The comment section contains thoughts on these projects. As well, this section also contains more information about Horizon: Zero Dawn.